101 things IN
days
1001

and other things thrown in between


101 Things in 1001 Days: My Sacred Life Day 2: Getting Away

Monday, November 05, 2007

My Sacred Life Day 2: Getting Away

Every so often life overwhelms. Each day is crammed with activity, noise and chaos. Decisions to make, emails to reply, mobile phones to answer. And if you’re a mum there are the kids to take care of, meals to cook, nappies to change. Night after night you fall into bed absolutely exhausted and then you get up the next morning only to repeat the cycle.

On days like this, the last thought before I fall asleep is ‘what did I do for myself today? More often than not the answer is … nothing.

And because life can sometimes be so overwhelming I consciously have to make - and take – the time to get away. Getting away may be locking myself up in the toilet to read just one article from the latest issue of O, The Oprah Magazine. Getting away may be going out into the garden and pruning back the roses and planting fresh bulbs for the spring. Getting away may simply be taking a nap for an hour, or blogging, or having a cup of tea or just STOPPING.

But sometimes life is kind and I get to experience what I consider a real away – travelling to the country side. And that is exactly what I did this weekend. My husband and I bundled ourselves and our two kids into the car and drove up to a country farm. It was lovely. To touch the animals, breathe in the fresh air, eat a meal that had been made with produce straight off the surrounding farms, explore the quaint shops selling stuff that’s unique and not mass produced and cheap. To be able to just stand still take in the views, connect with nature and get away... that was sacred.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds wonderful.... Getting away from time to time is truly something very important. Thanks for the reminder... and for commenting on my blog. :)

Friday, November 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home